When forming an LLC business structure, you first need to file the Certificate of Formation (called the Articles of Organization in some states) with the Arizona Corporation Commission. This is a legal document that officially launches your new LLC into existence. After filing, the business can obtain an Employer Identification Number (EIN), state tax number, open a bank account, and register for business licenses.
Some of the required information needed to complete the Certificate of Formation in Arizona includes:
- Type of LLC. Select either a regular Limited Liability Company or Professional Limited Liability Company
- Your new company’s name. When filling out this information be sure to include the entity designator at the end of the business name. The allowed designator can be “Limited Liability Company”, “LLC” or L.C.The Professional LLC can use the designator “Professional Limited Liability Company”, “PLLC” or “PLC.
- If you haven’t verified already, be sure to do a name search with the Corporation Commission to be sure the LLC name is available.
- PLLC Services – If offering a licensed service and operating as a PLLC, describe the services.
The name of your company’s statutory agent and address. A statutory agent is a party authorized to receive and accept service of process on behalf of your LLC. You may act as your registered agent or you may authorize an individual outside of the LLC or another company authorized by your state to act as a registered agent. The registered agent must use a physical street address in Arizona.
- Address of the principal place of business. This may be, but is not required to be, the actual place of the business to the physical street address, or the main location where the business records are kept. A physical address must be used as P.O. Boxes are not acceptable.
- Management of the LLC. In the articles of organization, you will often need to include contact information with the names and mailing addresses of the LLC members. Additional information such as whether the management structure is either member-managed or manager-managed will be asked.
The filing fee for the Articles of Organization is $50.
In addition, many LLCs will want to draft an operating agreement is an internal document outlining the governing structure and operating guidelines of the entity along with the responsibilities of the members.
Download the Arizona Articles of Organization from the Arizona Corporation Commission.