Our work is reader-supported, meaning that we may earn a commission from the products and services mentioned.

What Business Licenses & Permits Are Needed In Connecticut?

What Business Licenses & Permits Are Needed In Connecticut?

Advertising Disclosure


What Business Licenses & Permits Are Needed In Connecticut?

Starting a business in Connecticut will mean potentially registering with a number of federal, state, and local agencies. Let’s take a look at common licenses and permits a business will register for in Connecticut.

Before applying for any licenses, the legal structure of the business will need to be established. Learn more about the differences between the sole proprietorship, general partnership, corporation, and Limited Liability Company (LLC). Forming a partnership, corporation, or LLC takes place with the Connecticut Secretary of State.

Related: Comparison of Business Entities

Also see: Steps to Starting a Business in Connecticut

State of Connecticut Business License

There is no general state of Connecticut business license.

City Business Licenses

Many cities require businesses to be licensed in order to operate. Rules for business registration vary depending on location and what the business does. Below are a few cities that have licensing requirements.

New Haven – The City of New Haven requires business licenses for amusement related businesses like bowling alleys, game rooms and pool tables, street vendors, and contractors

Hartford – Businesses requiring licensing in Hartford include dance halls, pawn brokers, second-hand dealers, laundromats, and more. The filing fee for most licenses is under $100.

Stamford – All businesses operating in City limits need to obtain a business license from the City of Stamford.

Done for you license research

Take the guesswork out of figuring out what licenses and permits are required to start your business with license research packages from IncFile and LegalZoom.

For as little as $99, you can save a lot of time and know your business is in compliance with local, state, and federal requirements. 

Building & Zoning Permits

Zoning – Depending on the location of the business, it’s important to verify whether the business needs an occupancy permit or has specific zoning regulations to follow. Depending on city requirements, home-based businesses may need to apply for a home occupation permit.

Building Permit – A building permit may be needed from the city or county building and planning department if there is any construction or renovations to a facility.

Signage Permit – Some municipalities require a permit before adding signage.

Connecticut Sales Tax Permit

If your business sells, rents, or leases goods, sells a taxable service, or operates a hotel, motel, or lodging house, you must obtain a Sales and Use Tax Permit (REG-1 Form) from the Connecticut Department of Revenue Services.

The one-time registration state fee for the Sales Tax Permit is $100.

Learn more about registering for a sales tax permit in Connecticut.

Resale Certificate

Businesses purchasing merchandise to resell will usually want to obtain a Connecticut Resale Certificate in order to not pay sales tax for merchandise that is being resold to customers.

Occupational License

A variety of occupations and professions in the state are regulated and need to be registered before offering certain services. A few common professions that require licensing in Connecticut include; acupuncturists, athletic trainers, family planners, landscape architects, pharmacists, and many more. Additional information, fees, and licensing requirements for professions are available from the State of Connecticut.

In addition to professional licensing, there are a few other types of businesses that need licensing that are not covered by the State, a few of which include:

Employer Identification Number (EIN)

Many businesses will register with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) for an EIN (or FEIN, Federal Employer Identification Number, or Federal Tax ID Number). The EIN is the business equivalent for a Social Security Number for an individual. CorporationsLimited Liability CompaniesPartnerships, and Sole Proprietorships with employees will all need to register for one. Sole Proprietorships without employees can use the owner’s Social Security Number.

There is no cost for an EIN, and it only takes a few minutes to get.

Learn how to apply for an EIN

Trade Name Certificate

While not a business license, Sole Proprietorships and Partnerships operating under a business name that is different from the full name of the owner(s) must register for a Trade Name Certificate (also known as a Doing Business As, DBA, or Fictitious Name) with the Town Clerk’s Office where the business is located.

These are some of the most common business licenses, but there are far too many licenses and permits for us to keep track of. Before starting your business, be sure to check with the Connecticut Licensing Info Center, City Hall, County Clerk, Chamber of Commerce, and/or Economic Developer in your area to get more information regarding business licensing.

For some additional peace of mind, companies like IncFile can do the research and ensure you have all of the proper federal, state, and local licenses to start your business.

What Business Licenses & Permits Are Needed In Connecticut?

What Business Licenses & Permits Are Needed In Connecticut?

Greg Bouhl

Greg Bouhl

Welcome! My name is Greg Bouhl, and I am a serial entrepreneur, educator, business advisor, and investor.

StartingYourBusiness.com is here because of the many clients I worked with who made decisions based on inaccurate and outdated information.

Starting a business is hard, but here you will find the practical tools, resources, and insider tips to help you successfully start a business.

If there is a question about starting a business or help finding a resource, I'm here to help!

Follow on LinkedIn

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Many (but not all) of the links on StartingYourBusiness.com are affiliate links. This means that a special tracking code is used and that we may make a small commission on the sale of an item if you purchase through one of these links. The price of the item is the same for you whether it is an affiliate link or not, and using affiliate links helps us to maintain this website.

StartingYourBusiness.com is also a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.

Our mission is to help businesses start and promoting inferior products and services doesn’t serve that mission. We keep the opinions fair and balanced and not let the commissions influence our opinions.