How do I fix EIN Error Code 101?

Last Updated on

Quick Reference

Question – I’m trying to apply for the SBA Economic Injury Disaster Loan (EIDL) and get an EIN Error 101. What is it and how do I get it fixed?


An EIN 101 Error refers to a name conflict with your EIN (Employer Identification Number). This is usually the result of an incomplete EIN application or the IRS has found another registered entity name that is too similar to yours.   This problem commonly arises as each state requires a unique name before registering a corporation or LLC, however a business with a similar name can register in another state, causing the conflict.

This isn’t normally difficult to fix, but the IRS will need to manually review your filing. Due to the volume of requests, it is going to be difficult to get in contact with the IRS and resolve this issue.

Before calling, find your state formation documents (Articles of Organization, Certificate of Organization, Articles of Incorporation, etc).  If those aren’t available, you may be able to show a Certificate of Good Standing.

If you are applying for the EIDL program, the only way to fix EIN Error Code 101 is to call the IRS at 800-829-4933, option 1, then 1, then 3 to speak to an IRS operator.

Subscribe Now to the 60-day Startup Challenge!

Subscribe Now to the 60-day Startup Challenge!