Apply for Business Licenses In Montana

(Last Updated On: October 11, 2017)

A frequent question we get is how to get a business license or permit in Montana.  There are actually several types of licenses your business may need to apply for like a local business license or professional license.  The cost of business licenses is going to vary depending on the type of business and location. It’s important to start applying for licensing early as it may take some time to get approval to operate your business.  Some types of businesses will also need to register with multiple agencies, which also increases the time to legally operate.  While this site is continually being updated, it’s important to also contact your local city/town’s City Hall, Economic Developer or Mayor to let them know you are in the process of getting started and get confirmation that all local licenses and permits have been applied for.

Some licenses your business may need to apply for include:

Local Montana Business License Applications

Almost every Montana community (both at the town/city and/or county level) have some sort of licensing/registration or rules and regulations that businesses need to be aware of.  Some require a general business license while others have requirements for certain professions, zoning, building/ building improvements, signage requirements, etc.

You will want to make sure that your business meets the requirements before opening the doors instead of having a visit to shut down operations until you are in compliance.   Don’t be intimidated in working with your local governments as they have an interest in new businesses opening in the community and they are there to help you do so, but certain laws and regulations must be followed.

For example, any person or company conducting business in the City of Billings must obtain a business license.  More information for obtaining a business license in Billings, click here.

Be sure to contact your city/town’s City Hall, Economic Developer or Mayor to say you are planning to start a business and need to find out what is needed to register.

State of Montana Business License

The state of Montana does not have a general business license filing.

Professional License

A variety of professionals in the state are regulated and need to register such as athletic trainers, barbers, cosmetologists, massage therapists and many more.  Additional information, fees and licensing requirements for professions are available from the Montana Department of Labor and Industry.

In addition to professional licenses, businesses in a variety of industries such as food establishments, day cares, salvage yards and many others require licensing.