When forming an LLC business structure, you first need to file the Articles of Organization with the Hawaii Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs. This is a legal document that officially launches your new LLC into existence. After filing, the business can obtain an Employer Identification Number (EIN), state tax number, open a bank account, and register for business licenses.
Some of the required information needed to complete the Articles of Organization in Hawaii includes:
- Your new company’s name. When filling out this information be sure to include the entity designator at the end of the business name. The allowed designator can be Limited Liability Company, L.L.C., or LLC.If you haven’t verified already, be sure to do a name search with the Hawaii Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs to be sure the LLC name is available.
- Mailing Address of the principal place of business. This may be, but is not required to be, the actual place of the business to the physical street address, or the main location where the business records are kept.
- Name and address of your company’s registered agent. A registered agent is a party authorized to receive and accept service of process on behalf of your LLC. You may act as your registered agent or you may authorize an individual outside of the LLC or another company authorized by your state to act as a registered agent. The registered agent must use a physical street address in Hawaii.
- Information about the LLC organizers. Include the name(s) of the initial organizers of the LLC (people helping with the formation of the entity). This is often the owner, but can be anyone.
- The duration of your LLC. Most will select perpetual, however, if there is a predetermined date the LLC will close, enter the date here. This is more common for investment-related entities.
- Management of the LLC. In the Articles of Organization, you will need to indicate whether the management structure is either member-managed or manager-managed. The names and addresses of each member or manager will need to be listed.
The filing fee for the Articles of Organization is $50.
Send the completed form and payment to:
Hawaii Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs
Business Registration Division
P.O. Box 40
Honolulu, Hawaii 96810
In addition to the Articles of Organization, many LLCs will want to draft an operating agreement is an internal document outlining the governing structure and operating guidelines of the entity along with the responsibilities of the members.
Download the Hawaii LLC Articles of Organization (Form LLC-1) from the Hawaii Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs.