Whether you’re researching the availability of a business name or checking the status of a business entity the Mississippi Secretary of State website has the information you are looking for.
The Secretary of State Business Entity Database provides information on sole proprietorships, partnerships, corporations and LLCs registered in Mississippi.
There is no fee to search the database.
What information can be looked up?
The database search can find several pieces of information about the business. Some of the highlights include:
- Business Name
- Business Type – Corporation, Limited Liability Company. Etc.
- Status – Good standing means all reports and filing fees are up to date. Dissolved means the business name may be available.
- Effective Date – Date the entity became active in the state.
- Principal Office Address – This could be the physical address of the business or it could be an address where business records are stored.
- Registered Agent’s information – A Registered Agent is the singular point of contact for the entity should a legal or tax notice need to be sent to the business. This is often one of the owners and if their home address is used, that address becomes public information. Many people find this concerning and use a Registered Agent service like Northwest Registered Agent or IncFile so their home address isn’t listed.
- Officers & Directors – Name, address and title of officers
How to do a Mississippi Business Name Search
Visit the Mississippi Secretary of State website.
Enter the name you would like to use in the “Business Name” field. In this example, we will look up “Lawn & Order” and click “Search”. It is recommended to use the “Starting With”, “All Words”, “Any Words”, “Sounds Like” and “Exact Match” to look at all possibilities and make sure your name is available.
Searching the registered names, we get a list of all the businesses with the words “Pool Guy”. To be able to register a corporation or LLC name in Mississippi, the name must be distinguishable from the other names registered. If you were looking to form an LLC with this name you wouldn’t be able to since there is already one registered.
To find more information about each of the registered business names, click on the the “Details” button. In this example, we will look up “Pool Guy LLC”.
While the name “Sew What” by itself may not be available other variants are such as “The Pool Guy of Jackson” or “The Best Pool Guy” are. Searching for those business names, brings a result that says “No Matches Found”. While final approval is still with the Secretary of State, it is likely available to register.
These are the basics of searching for a business name in Mississippi. Even when the name of the business you want is available, the Secretary of State will make a final determination at the time of filing to ensure the name you picked isn’t too similar to other registered names.
How do I form an LLC?
Before starting your business and forming an LLC, be sure to do the business entity search first to make sure the name is available to use. Once you know the LLC name is available, learn how to form an Mississippi LLC by reading our step-by-step guide on filing the Certificate of Formation.
While not required in Mississippi, an Operating Agreement, which are the rules for how the LLC operates, may be a document worth considering especially for multi-member LLCs.
After forming a Limited Liability Company, be sure to get an Employer Identification Number (EIN). This is a “social security number” for the business. There is no cost to get one through the IRS.
After forming the LLC, Mississippi business licenses and permits may still be necessary.