Last Updated on September 3, 2020
Whether you’re researching the availability of a business name or checking the status of a business entity the Wyoming Secretary of State website has the information you are looking for.
The Secretary of State Business Entity Database provides information on sole proprietorships, partnerships, corporations and LLCs registered in Wyoming.
There is no fee to search the database.
What information can be looked up?
The database search can find several pieces of information about the business. Some of the highlights include:
- Business Name
- Entity Type – Corporation, Limited Liability Company. Etc.
- Status – Active means the entity is in good standing and all reports and filing fees are up to date. Other results are “Inactive” and these names may be available to register.
- Principal Office – This could be the physical address of the business or it could be an address where business records are stored.
- Term of Duration – Perpetual means the entity intends to operate indefinitely. Some entities will choose a specified end date.
- Registered Agent’s information – A Wyoming Registered Agent is the singular point of contact for the entity should a legal or tax notice need to be sent to the business. This is often one of the owners and if their home address is used, that address becomes public information. Many people find this concerning and use a Registered Agent service like Northwest Registered Agent or IncFile so their home address isn’t listed.
- You are also able to look at filings such as the Annual Report, Initial Filing and any notices.
How to do a Wyoming Business Name Search
Visit the Wyoming Secretary of State website.
Enter the name you would like to use in the “Filing Name” field. In this example, we will look up “Lawn Guy” and click “Search”. It is recommended to search by both “Starts With” and “Contains” to search your name thoroughly.
Searching the registered names, we get a list of all the businesses with the words “Lawn Guy”. To be able to register a corporation or LLC name in Wyoming, the name must be distinguishable from the other names registered. If you were looking to form an LLC with this name you wouldn’t be able to since there is already one registered.
To find more information about any of the registered business names, click on the link of the name you are interested in to see a detailed report.
While the name “Lawn Guy” by itself may not be available, other variants are such as “Lawn Guy of Wyoming”. Searching for this business name brings a result that says “No results found”. Even if the name looks like it is available the Secretary of State will do their own search to avoid confusing potential customers with a business name that sounds like someone else’s. Typically words that sound alike but are spelled differently and even abbreviations will make names show up as available but won’t be approved.
These are the basics of searching for a business name in Wyoming. Even when the name of the business you want looks like it is available, the Secretary of State will make a final determination at the time of filing to ensure the name you picked isn’t too similar to other registered names.
How do I form an LLC?
Before starting your business and forming an LLC, be sure to do the business entity search first to make sure the name is available to use. Once you know the LLC name is available, learn how to form a Wyoming LLC by reading our step-by-step guide on filing the Articles of Organization.
After forming a Limited Liability Company, be sure to get an Employer Identification Number (EIN). This is a “social security number” for the business. There is no cost to get one through the IRS.
After forming the LLC, Wyoming business licenses and permits may still be necessary.