Our work is reader-supported, meaning that we may earn a commission from the products and services mentioned.

How to Get a Resale Certificate

How to Get a Resale Certificate

Affiliate Disclosure


How to Get a Resale Certificate

How to Get a Resale Certificate

Resale certificates allow the tax-free purchases of merchandise to resell. Learn more about the certificate, why it’s needed, and how to get one. 

What is a Resale Certificate?

A resale certificate (depending on the state, it may be called a reseller permit, sales tax exemption license, or resale license) is a document that allows resellers to purchase tangible personal property (aka the goods you plan to resell and, in some states the equipment used to produce goods that are resold) from a vendor, wholesaler, or supplier without paying sales tax.  The reseller, which is often the retailer, sells the product to the end-user of the product and collects sales tax. 

Manufacturers will also use resale certificates to purchase the supplies or services needed for the products they make. Depending on the state, a resale certificate may be called a reseller’s permit, reseller’s license, sales tax license, sales tax exemption certificate, seller’s permit, or something similar.

Why is a resale certificate needed?

When a wholesaler makes a sale to a retailer, the wholesaler doesn’t charge the retailer sales tax.  The state, of course, wants to be paid the sales tax.  The resale certificate provides documentation about the reseller and their business.  Each state’s Department of Revenue (or similarly named revenue agency) will occasionally audit businesses making tax-exempt sales to ensure they are making sales to businesses that are in the business of reselling the merchandise being sold.  If there is an audit and a wholesaler is making tax-free sales without the proper documentation or selling to businesses that don’t reasonably appear to be in the business of selling the products being purchased, the wholesaler can face fines and be charged the full amount of tax on the sale.

What information is needed for a resale certificate?

The information needed to fill out a resale certificate varies by state, but resale certificates typically require:

  • Business name
  • Reseller’s name, address, phone number
  • Reseller’s sales tax permit number
  • Description of the reseller’s business
  • Description of the merchandise sold

Additionally, some certificates ask whether the certificate should be treated as a blanket certificate or will be for a one-time transaction.  A blanket resale certificate is one where the reseller expects to make recurring purchases with the vendor over an extended period of time.

How to Apply for a Resale Certificate

Each state has a different process for getting a resale certificate. Still, the process is one where the reseller will first obtain a sales tax number from the state revenue agency and then fill out a resale certificate.  A certificate is typically provided by each state, however, in many cases, as long as the required information is included, any form can be used.  The certificate isn’t filed with any agency, however, it is kept on file with the seller in case of an audit.

Since businesses are increasingly doing business over state lines, several states joined together to simplify sales taxes.  The Multistate Tax Commission (MTC) developed a single resale certificate used among the participating states called the Uniform Sales & Use Tax Exemption Certificate or Streamlined Sales Tax Project.

Click on your state below to see more information on registering for a resale certificate in each state.

How to Get a Resale Certificate

How to Get a Resale Certificate

Greg Bouhl

Greg Bouhl

Welcome! My name is Greg Bouhl, and I am a serial entrepreneur, educator, business advisor, and investor.

StartingYourBusiness.com is here because of the many clients I worked with who made decisions based on inaccurate and outdated information.

Starting a business is hard, but here you will find the practical tools, resources, and insider tips to help you successfully start a business.

If there is a question about starting a business or help finding a resource, I'm here to help!

Follow on LinkedIn

2 Responses

  1. I work for a used furniture store. A lot of motel owners come in to buy furniture for their motels. They shouldn’t be charged tax as the furniture will be taxed as room rentals. Is the motel required to provide a tax exemption form to the furniture store? Thank you for any help you can give. A lot of motel owners seem to scoff at the thought of filling out the form. Am I doing something wrong?

    1. Hi Michael

      You will want to check with your state’s taxation agency, but the motel owners should be paying sales tax on this furniture. Since they are not reselling the furniture and in fact, are the end users, I believe most states, if not all, are going to require charging them sales tax.

      If you have any customers that won’t fill out the form, for your protection, you need them to fill it out. If the state comes to audit you and you don’t have this documentation, you will likely be the one paying the sales tax.

      Hope this helps.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Many (but not all) of the links on StartingYourBusiness.com are affiliate links. This means that a special tracking code is used and that we may make a small commission on the sale of an item if you purchase through one of these links. The price of the item is the same for you whether it is an affiliate link or not, and using affiliate links helps us to maintain this website.

StartingYourBusiness.com is also a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.

Our mission is to help businesses start and promoting inferior products and services doesn’t serve that mission. We keep the opinions fair and balanced and not let the commissions influence our opinions.