How to Register for a Sales Tax License in Wyoming
Most businesses starting in Wyoming selling a product or offering certain services will need to register for a sales tax license. This is commonly referred to as a seller’s permit, sales tax permit, sales tax number, or sales tax ID.
Check out the rest of this guide to determine who needs a sales tax license, what products and services are taxable, how to register for a permit, and reporting requirements.
Also see: Guide to Starting a Business in Wyoming
Who needs a sales tax license in Wyoming?
A business must register as a vendor in the state of Wyoming when:
- A business has an economic nexus or sales tax nexus (significant presence in the state) with a physical presence in the state, such as a retail store, office, or warehouse where products are produced, or inventory is stored.
- Selling products and taxable services in Wyoming (includes occasionally selling items at craft shows, fairs, seminars, shows, etc.)
- Employees (including sales representatives or agents) are working in Wyoming.
- An online business located in Wyoming is selling taxable products to Wyoming residents.
- A remote seller meets one of the following scenarios:
- Making total annual sales of tangible personal property or taxable services to Wyoming residents of $100,000 or more; or
- Shipping 200 or more transactions to Wyoming residents annually.
What products and services are taxable in Wyoming?
There are a few exceptions, but almost all physical products are taxable when sold at retail in Wyoming. Common examples include:
- General merchandise like furniture, appliances, and clothing
- Titled or registered items like vehicles
Digital products are taxable in Wyoming.
Most services aren’t taxable in Wyoming, however, there are a few exceptions, some of which include:
- Short-term lodging
- Admissions fees to places of amusement, entertainment, recreation, games, or athletic events
- Services that repair, alter, or improves tangible personal property, such as a cell phone repair shop or an auto mechanic.
How to register for a sales tax license in Wyoming
Information needed to register includes:
- Ownership Name
- Employer Identification Number (EIN),
- Anticipated date of the first sale
- Estimated monthly sales volume
- DBA/Doing Business As Name (if applicable)
- Type of business entity (Sole Proprietorship, Partnership, Corporation, LLC)
- Physical address, mailing address
- Description of what products or services are being sold
- Name, address, SSN, and title of owners/officers/members
Sales tax reporting
How is sales tax collected?
When a business sells a taxable product or service, the business charges the appropriate sales tax rate to the customer. This tax is collected by the business which is then sent to the Wyoming Department of Revenue.
How much is sales tax in Wyoming?
The sales tax rate that is charged varies depending on the address of the business if the purchase is made in the store. When shipping in-state, the sales tax is based on the address of the purchaser.
In addition to the statewide sales tax, additional local sales taxes may be added by counties and resort district areas. To find sales tax rates, see the sales & use tax rate charts from the Wyoming Department of Revenue.
When are Wyoming sales tax returns due?
The Department of Revenue will determine a filing frequency based on the expected sales volume, which will be monthly, quarterly, or annually. Generally, a business collecting over $150 in sales taxes each month will file monthly.
Filings are due the last day of the month following the reporting period, unless the last day of the month falls on a weekend or federal holiday, which would move to the next business day. The business is responsible for collecting and filing sales taxes on time, otherwise, they will be responsible for the tax due, plus any penalties and interest.
Even if the business had no sales during the reporting period, a filing is still required indicating no sales.
How much does a sales tax license cost in Wyoming?
There is a one-time registration fee of $60 to register for a sales tax license in Wyoming.
How long does it take to get a Wyoming sales tax license?
Expect 1-2 weeks to receive the Wyoming sales tax license.
How do I get a wholesale license in Wyoming?
A business can purchase items to resell without paying state sales tax. The tax liability is passed from the wholesaler or distributor to the retailer, who will then charge sales tax to the end-user or buyer of the item.
To get a sales tax exemption, wholesalers and distributors will require the reseller to fill out a Wyoming Certificate of Exemption (commonly called a Resale Certificate) to document the items being purchased are for resale.
Do you have to renew your Wyoming sales tax license?
The sales tax license is a one-time registration, and no renewals are needed. Be mindful that if any information about the business changes, such as the mailing address, additional locations, or change in ownership, those changes need to be updated with the Wyoming Department of Revenue.
Is a business license the same thing as a sales tax license?
In addition to registering for a sales tax license, there are likely business licenses needed to operate in Wyoming.
Learn more about Wyoming business licenses and permits.
If you have questions about the Wyoming sales tax permit, the Department of Revenue has a helpful Vendor Manual, or they can be contacted by calling 307-777-5200 or in office:
Wyoming Department of Revenue Excise Tax Division
122 W. 25th Street, Herschler Bldg
Cheyenne, WY 82002-0110