How to Register for a Sales Tax Permit in Oklahoma
Most businesses starting in Oklahoma selling a product or offering certain services will need to register for a sales tax permit. This is commonly referred to as a seller’s permit, sales tax license, sales tax number, or sales tax registration.
The sales tax permit is obtained through the Oklahoma Tax Commission as a part of applying for an Oklahoma Business Registration.
Check out the rest of this guide to determine who needs a sales tax permit, what products and services are taxable, how to register for a permit, and reporting requirements.
Also See: Guide to Starting a Business in Oklahoma
Who needs a sales tax permit in Oklahoma?
A business must register for a sales tax permit in Oklahoma when:
- A business has economic nexus. Economic nexus means having a physical presence in the state, such as having a physical location like a retail store or office or using a warehouse or fulfillment center to store inventory.
- Selling tangible personal property and taxable services in Oklahoma (includes occasionally selling items at craft shows, fairs, seminars, shows, etc.)
- Employees (including sales representatives or agents) are working in Oklahoma
- An online business located in Oklahoma is selling taxable products to Oklahoma residents
- A remote seller or an out-of-state dealer is selling at least $100,000 in taxable products to Oklahoma residents.
What products and services are taxable in Oklahoma?
There are a few exceptions, but almost all physical products are taxable when sold at retail in Oklahoma. Common examples include:
- General merchandise like furniture, appliances, and clothing
- Titled or registered items like vehicles
Certain agriculture products and equipment, in addition to prescriptions, are tax exempt.
Labor, in most cases, isn’t taxable in the state of Oklahoma. For instance, let’s say you broke the screen of your cell phone and take it to a cell phone repair shop to have it fixed. Sales tax would be added to the selling price of the new screen and any additional parts to fix the phone. The labor to replace the screen isn’t taxable. However, a business that makes furniture will indirectly have a sales tax on labor. In this instance, let’s say this business is building a dining room table for a customer. Through labor, the pieces of wood are shaped, sanded, and painted to build this piece of furniture. While the labor isn’t directly taxable, sales tax is charged to the final selling price of the table.
Digital products are exempt from sales taxes in Oklahoma.
Most services aren’t taxable in Oklahoma, however, there are a few exceptions, some of which include:
- Short-term lodging
- Printing and advertising (except in newspapers, periodicals, and on billboards, as well as any advertising through the electronic broadcast media, including radio, television, and cable television)
- Transportation and auto parking
- Admission fees
How to register for a sales tax permit in Oklahoma
A sales tax permit can be obtained by registering online through the Oklahoma Taxpayer Access Point.
Information needed to register includes:
- Contact information
- Legal business name
- Doing Business As name (if applicable)
- The physical address, mailing address, phone of the company
- Type of business entity: Sole Proprietorship, Partnership, Corporation, Limited Liability Company (LLC)
- Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN) from the IRS, or the owner’s Social Security Number if a sole proprietorship with no employees
- Names and addresses of owners/officers/members
- Description of what products or services are being sold
Sales tax reporting
How is sales tax collected?
When a business sells a taxable product or service, the business charges the appropriate sales tax rate to the customer. This tax is collected by the business which is then sent to the Oklahoma Tax Commission.
How much is sales tax in Oklahoma?
The sales tax rate that is charged varies depending on the address of the business if the purchase is made in the store. When shipping in-state, the sales tax is based on the address of the purchaser.
In addition to the statewide tax, there are additional sales taxes that may be added by cities, towns, counties, and municipalities. To find sales tax rates, see the sales tax rate locator from the Oklahoma Tax Commission.
When are Oklahoma sales tax returns due?
The Tax Commission will determine a filing frequency based on the expected volume of sales, which will be monthly, quarterly, or semi-annually. Most businesses will file monthly.
Filings are due on the 20th day of the month following the reporting period, unless the 20th falls on a weekend or federal holiday, which would move to the next business day.
Even if the business had no sales during the reporting period, a filing is still required indicating no sales.
How much does a sales tax permit cost in Oklahoma?
The fee for a sales tax permit in Oklahoma is $20 for the first location and $10 for each additional location.
How long does it take to get an Oklahoma sales tax permit?
Expect up to five days to process an Oklahoma sales tax permit.
Do you have to renew an Oklahoma sales tax permit?
The sales tax permit is renewable every three years from the date it was issued. Be mindful that if any information about the business changes, such as the mailing address, additional locations, or change in ownership, those changes need to be updated with the Tax Commission.
Is a business license the same thing as a sales tax license?
In addition to registering for a sales tax permit, there may be other business licenses needed before starting a business in Oklahoma.
Learn what business licenses are needed in Oklahoma.
How do I get a wholesale license in Oklahoma?
A business can purchase items to resell without paying state sales tax. The tax liability is passed from the wholesaler or distributor to the retailer, who will then charge sales tax to the end-user of the item.
Wholesalers and distributors will require a sales tax number and a completed Oklahoma Resale Certificate (also referred to as a withholding license, sales tax exemption certificate, or reseller’s permit) to document the items being purchased are for resale.
If you have questions about the sales tax permit, the Oklahoma Tax Commission has an FAQ on sales taxes in Oklahoma, or they can be contacted by calling 405-521-3160.