Our work is reader-supported, meaning that we may earn a commission from the products and services mentioned.

How to Register for a Transaction Privilege Tax License in Arizona

How to Register for a Transaction Privilege Tax License in Arizona

Advertising Disclosure


How to Register for a Transaction Privilege Tax License in Arizona

How to Register for a Transaction Privilege Tax License in Arizona

Most businesses starting in Arizona will need to register for a Transaction Privilege Tax License (TPT). This is commonly referred to as a seller’s permit, sales tax license, sales tax number, or sales tax registration. A business selling a product or offering certain services in Arizona will need to register. While the Transaction Privilege Tax isn’t a sales tax, it is a tax on vendors for the privilege of doing business in the state that gets passed down to the customer.

The Transaction Privilege Tax license is obtained when applying for the Arizona Joint Tax Application (JT-1) from the Arizona Department of Revenue (ADOR). This application is used by both the Department of Revenue and the Arizona Department of Economic Security to simplify the registration process for businesses. In addition to the TPT, the JT-1 allows businesses to register for Use Tax, Employer Withholding, and Unemployment Insurance.

Check out the rest of this guide to find out who needs a Transaction Privilege Tax, what products and services are taxable, how to register for a permit, and reporting requirements.

Also See: Guide to Starting a Business in Arizona

Who needs a Transaction Privilege License in Arizona?

A business must register for a TPT license in the state of Arizona when:

  • A business has economic nexus. Nexus means having a physical presence in the state, such as having a physical location like a retail store or office or using a warehouse or fulfillment center to store inventory.
  • An employee or independent contractor will operate in the state for more than 2 days out of the year.
  • Selling items at craft shows, fairs, seminars, conventions, etc.
  • Owning or leasing real or personal property in the state
  • A business located in Arizona selling to Arizona residents
  • A remote seller with annual sales of over $100,000 in taxable products to Arizona residents.

Taxpayers conducting a special event, swap meet, or arts and crafts show may need to register for a license.

More information on Transaction Privilege Taxes is available in the Guide to Taxes for Arizona Businesses (Publication 622)

What products and services are taxable in Arizona?

Physical products

There are a few exceptions, but almost all retail sales of tangible personal property are taxable when sold in Arizona. Common examples include:

  • General merchandise like furniture, appliances, and clothing
  • Titled or registered items like vehicles

Qualifying food, prescriptions, medical appliances, and some machinery isn’t taxable.

Labor, in most cases, isn’t taxable in Arizona. For instance, let’s say you broke the screen of your cell phone and take it to a cell phone repair shop to have it fixed. Tax would be added to the selling price of the new screen and any additional parts to fix the phone. The labor to replace the screen isn’t taxable. However, a business that makes furniture will indirectly have a tax on labor. In this instance, let’s say this business is building a dining room table for a customer. Through labor, the pieces of wood are shaped, sanded, and painted to build this piece of furniture. While the labor isn’t directly taxable, tax is charged to the final selling price of the table.

Digital Products

Digital products and services are taxable in Arizona.


Most services aren’t taxable in Arizona, however, there are a few exceptions.

  • Short-term lodging
  • Job printing
  • Publishing
  • Amusements
  • Advertising

How to register for a Transaction Privilege Tax License in Arizona

The Transaction Privilege Tax license can be obtained by registering through AZTaxes.gov, and mailing the Joint Tax Application (JT-1), or submitting the JT-1 form in-person at a Department of Revenue office.

Office locations:

1600 W. Monroe
Phoenix, AZ 85007

55 N. Center
Mesa, AZ 85201

400 W. Congress
Tucson, AZ 85701

Information needed to register includes:

  • Type of business entity: Sole Proprietorship, Partnership, Corporation, Limited Liability Company (LLC)
  • Legal business name
  • Names and addresses of owners/officers/members
  • Business phone number
  • The physical and mailing address of the business
  • North American Industrial Classification System NAICS code
  • Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN) from the IRS, or owner’s Social Security Number (SSN)if a sole proprietorship with no employees
  • Date business activities began or will begin
  • Projected monthly sales
  • Projected monthly taxable sales
  • Employee information

In addition to the Department of Revenue TPT license, a business must also register for TPT licensing in each of the cities they operate in.

Sales tax reporting

How is sales tax collected?

When a business sells a taxable product or service, the business charges the appropriate tax rate to the customer. This tax is collected by the company and then sends it to the Arizona Department of Revenue.

How much is sales tax in Arizona?

The sales tax rate that is charged varies depending on the address of the business if the purchase is made or shipped from a business located in the state. If the seller is based out of the state, the sales tax rate is based on the buyer’s address.

In addition to the statewide tax, there are additional sales taxes that may be added by cities and municipalities. The Arizona Department of Revenue has a Tax Rate Table to determine how much sales tax to charge.

When are Arizona sales tax returns due?

The Department of Revenue will determine a filing frequency based on the expected annual sales volume, which will be monthly, quarterly, or annually. Generally, a business selling over $8,000 annually in taxable sales will file monthly. The frequency is re-evaluated annually.

Filings are due on the 20th day of the month following the reporting period, unless the 20th falls on a weekend or federal holiday, which would move to the next business day.

Even if the business had no sales during the reporting period, a TPT filing is still required.

How much does a Transaction Privilege Tax License cost in Arizona?

The Transaction Privilege Tax is $12 per Arizona location. A business can opt to report for each location separately or have a consolidated license.

In addition to the state fee, a business will also need to file for a sales tax permit in each city where they do business. This permit varies between cities but ranges between $0 and $50. See the full table of TPT license fees by city.

Out-of-state online sellers must register in each state where they sell a product.

How long does it take to get an Arizona Transaction Privilege Tax?

Whether applying online or by mail, expect 3-5 business days to receive an Arizona TPT License.

Do you have to renew the Arizona Transaction Privilege Tax?

Transaction Privilege Tax Licenses have to be renewed by January 1 each year.

Is a business license the same thing as a sales tax license?

In addition to registering for a sales tax permit, there may be other business licenses needed before starting a business in Arizona.

Learn what business licenses are needed in Arizona.

How do I get a wholesale license in Arizona?

A business can purchase items to resell without paying the Transaction Privilege Tax. TPT liability is passed from the distributor to the retailer, who will then charge tax to the final customer.

Wholesalers and distributors will require a sales tax number and a completed Arizona Resale Certificate (also referred to as a wholesale license, reseller’s permit, or sales tax exemption certificate) to document the items being purchased are for resale.

If you have questions about the Transaction Privilege Tax, the Arizona Department of Revenue can be contacted by calling 602-255-3381.

How to Register for a Transaction Privilege Tax License in Arizona

How to Register for a Transaction Privilege Tax License in Arizona

Greg Bouhl

Greg Bouhl

Welcome! My name is Greg Bouhl, and I am a serial entrepreneur, educator, business advisor, and investor.

StartingYourBusiness.com is here because of the many clients I worked with who made decisions based on inaccurate and outdated information.

Starting a business is hard, but here you will find the practical tools, resources, and insider tips to help you successfully start a business.

If there is a question about starting a business or help finding a resource, I'm here to help!

Follow on LinkedIn

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Many (but not all) of the links on StartingYourBusiness.com are affiliate links. This means that a special tracking code is used and that we may make a small commission on the sale of an item if you purchase through one of these links. The price of the item is the same for you whether it is an affiliate link or not, and using affiliate links helps us to maintain this website.

StartingYourBusiness.com is also a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.

Our mission is to help businesses start and promoting inferior products and services doesn’t serve that mission. We keep the opinions fair and balanced and not let the commissions influence our opinions.