How to Register for an Alaska EIN

Last Updated on

Quick Reference

One of several steps most businesses will need when starting a business in Alaska is to register for an Employer Identification Number (EIN) and state Employer Account Number.  These numbers are most commonly used to register a business with the federal and state government in order to pay payroll taxes, and withhold taxes from employee wages.

Let’s review in more detail what these numbers are used for, when they are required, costs and how to get them.

What is the Employer Identification Number (EIN)?

The EIN is short for Employer Identification Number and is sometimes referred to as the FEIN or Federal Employer Identification Number. This is a unique 9 digit number that is similar to a social security number for an individual but instead identifies a business.

The EIN is primarily needed to hire employees, as the EIN used as the account for paying payroll taxes, income tax withholdings, and unemployment taxes.

Some other uses of the EIN include:

  • Opening a bank account – Banks need an EIN (or SSN if the EIN isn’t needed) before opening a business bank account.
  • Applying for business licenses & permits – Most Alaska business licenses and permits will require the EIN (or SSN in some cases) before filing an application.
  • Filing tax returns – To file state and federal tax returns, the EIN is used to identify the business.

Who needs an Alaska EIN?

The EIN is needed for Alaska businesses that are either:

  • Registered as a partnership, corporation or multi-member LLC, or;
  • A sole proprietorship or single-member LLC that has employees

The EIN is optional for sole proprietorships and single-member LLCs without employees as those business entities will use the owner’s social security number.

How to apply for an EIN

The easiest and fastest way to apply for an EIN is to visit the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) website, between the hours of 7 am – 10 pm EST, Monday – Friday.

It takes about 5 minutes to file the EIN online a number will be ready in seconds. If applying online isn’t an option, you can also apply by mail or fax by sending the SS-4 form. You can even get an EIN over the phone if the company was formed outside the U.S. by calling 267-941-1099. If filing by phone, note that it isn’t a toll-free number.

There is no cost to apply for an EIN.

See how to register for an EIN in this video:

What Information Do I Need to Get an Employer Identification Number?

Applying for an EIN is pretty straightforward, but you will need to obtain some information beforehand, such as:

  • Legal business name
  • Business address
  • Name(s) of the principal officer, manager or owner
  • Name(s) and contact information of the owners, directors, officers or members
  • Type of business and what activities the business performs
  • Date the business was started or acquired
  • Closing month of the entity’s accounting year
  • Number of employees expected to be hired
  • Contact information

What state tax numbers are needed?

In addition to registering the EIN, many businesses will also need to get an Alaska Employer Account Number in order to pay for a variety of state employment taxes. 

The Employer Account Number is often confused with the EIN.  The EIN is a separate number that is used to federally register a business with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and may be needed in addition to the state tax number.  A business may need to apply for one or both numbers.

Businesses with employees will need to register with the Alaska Alaska Department of Labor and Workforce Development to pay payroll taxes.  Learn more about registering as an employer in Alaska.