When forming an LLC business structure, you first need to file the Certificate of Formation with the Maine Secretary of State. This is a legal document that officially launches your new LLC into existence. After filing, the business can obtain an Employer Identification Number (EIN), state tax number, open a bank account, and register for business licenses.
Some of the required information needed to complete the Certificate of Formation in Maine includes:
- Your new company’s name. When filling out this information be sure to include the entity designator at the end of the business name. The allowed designator can be “limited liability company” or “limited company” or the abbreviation “L.L.C.,” “LLC,” “L.C.” or “LC” or, in the case of a low-profit limited liability company, “L3C” or “l3c”.
If you haven’t verified already, be sure to do a name search with the Maine Secretary of State to be sure the LLC name is available.
- The effective start date for your LLC. While you cannot back-date the formation date of your LLC, you can specify when you want the business entity to become effective at a time in the future.
- Low-Profit LLC Designation. If this LLC will be classified as a L3C, indicate by checking the box.
- Professional LLC Designation. If the services of this LLC will require state licensing, check the box and provide a brief description of those services.
- Name and address of your company’s registered agent. A registered agent is a party authorized to receive and accept service of process on behalf of your LLC. You may act as your registered agent or you may authorize an individual outside of the LLC or another company authorized by your state to act as a registered agent. The registered agent must use a physical street address in Maine.
The filing fee for the Certificate of Formation is $175.
Mail the completed form and payment to:
Secretary of State
Division of Corporations, UCC and Commissions
101 State House Station
Augusta, ME 04333-0101
In addition to the Certificate of Formation, many LLCs will want to draft an operating agreement is an internal document outlining the governing structure and operating guidelines of the entity along with the responsibilities of the members.
Download the Maine LLC Certificate of Formation from the Secretary of State.