When forming an LLC business structure, you first need to file the Certificate of Organization with the Massachusetts Secretary of the Commonwealth. This is a legal document that officially launches your new LLC into existence. After filing, the business can obtain an Employer Identification Number (EIN), state tax number, open a bank account, and register for business licenses.
Some of the required information needed to complete the Certificate of Formation in Massachusetts includes:
- Federal Identification Number. Also referred to as the Federal Employer Identification Number.
- Your new company’s name. When filling out this information be sure to include the entity designator at the end of the business name. The allowed designator can be Limited Liability Company, L.L.C., or LLC.If you haven’t verified already, be sure to do a name search with the Secretary of the Commonwealth to be sure the LLC name is available.
- Address of the principal place of business. This may be, but is not required to be, the actual place of the business to the physical street address, or the main location where the business records are kept. A physical address must be used as P.O. Boxes are not acceptable.
- Business purpose statement. Enter a general statement of purpose of what the LLC’s business activities will be.
- Date of dissolution. (Optional) This is not common, however, if there is a specified date the LLC will cease to exist, enter the date here. This is more common for investment-related entities.
- Name and address of your company’s registered agent. A registered agent is a party authorized to receive and accept service of process on behalf of your LLC. You may act as your registered agent or you may authorize an individual outside of the LLC or another company authorized by your state to act as a registered agent. The registered agent must use a physical street address in Massachusetts.
The filing fee for the Certificate of Organization is $500.
Send completed form and payment to:
Secretary of the Commonwealth
One Ashburton Place, Room 1717
Boston, MA 02108-1512
In addition to the Certificate of Organization, many LLCs will want to draft an operating agreement is an internal document outlining the governing structure and operating guidelines of the entity along with the responsibilities of the members.
Download the Massachusetts LLC Certificate of Organization from the Secretary of the Commonwealth.