Our work is reader-supported, meaning that we may earn a commission from the products and services mentioned.

What Business Licenses & Permits are Needed in Montana?

What Business Licenses & Permits are Needed in Montana?

Advertising Disclosure


What Business Licenses & Permits are Needed in Montana?

What Business Licenses & Permits are Needed in Montana?

Starting a business in Montana will mean potentially registering with a number of federal, state, and local agencies.  Let’s take a look at common licenses and permits a business will register for in Montana.

Before applying for any licenses, the legal structure of the business will need to be established. Learn more about the differences between the sole proprietorship, general partnership, corporation, and Limited Liability Company (LLC).

Related: Comparison of Business Entities

Learn more about forming an LLC in Montana

Also see: Steps to starting a business in Montana

General Business License

There is no general state of Montana business license, however, there are city and county licenses some businesses will need to register for. Rules for business registration vary depending on location and what the business does.  Below are a few cities that have licensing requirements.

Billings – Anyone conducting business within Billings’ city limits, a business license is required from the City of Billings Finance Department.

The cost of a business license in Billings varies by the amount of gross revenue, number of employees, and what the business does.

Missoula – Most businesses operating in the City of Missoula will need to obtain a General Business License.  Businesses that fall into certain categories (contractors, mobile vendors, businesses that sell alcoholic beverages, or medical marijuana) will need to get a special business license.

Any business that physically operates from a residential property will need to have a background check. Home-based businesses will have to submit the Home Occupation Additional Info form with their business license application.

Great Falls – Several types of businesses operating in the City of Great Falls will need to obtain licensing from the Planning and Community Development Department. Some of these businesses include electricians, plumbers, daycares, and home-based businesses.

All businesses operating out of a physical location will need to obtain a Safety Inspection Certificate from the Fire Department.

Bozeman – All businesses operating within city limits will need to have a business license from the Bozeman Department of Community Development before starting their business. Licenses are renewable each year and are also required for some home-based businesses.

Done for you license research

Take the guesswork out of figuring out what licenses and permits are required to start your business with license research packages from IncFile and LegalZoom.

For as little as $99, you can save a lot of time and know your business is in compliance with local, state, and federal requirements. 

Building & Zoning Permits

Zoning – Depending on the location of the business, it’s important to verify whether the business needs an occupancy permit or has specific zoning regulations to follow. Depending on city requirements, home-based businesses may need to apply for a home occupation permit.

Building Permit – A building permit may be needed from the city or county building and planning department if there is any construction or renovations to a facility.

Signage Permit – Some municipalities require a permit before adding signage.

Professional License

A variety of professions in the state are regulated and need to be registered before offering certain services.  A few common occupations that require licensing in Montana include; barbers, cosmetologists, massage therapists, landscape architects, and many more.   Additional information, fees, and licensing requirements for professions are available from the Montana Department of Labor & Industry.

In addition to professional licenses, businesses in a variety of industries such as food establishmentsdaycaressalvage yards, and many others require licensing.

Contractor License

All incorporated construction contractors and construction contractors with employees must register with the Montana Department of Labor & Industry.  A separate license is required for independent contractors.

Employer Identification Number (EIN)

Many businesses will register with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) for an EIN (also referred to as a FEIN, Federal Employer Identification Number, or Federal Tax ID Number). The EIN is the business equivalent of a Social Security Number for an individual. Corporations, Limited Liability Companies, Partnerships, and Sole Proprietorships with employees will all need to register for one. Sole Proprietorships without employees can use the owner’s Social Security Number.

There is no cost for an EIN, and it only takes a few minutes to get.

Learn how to apply for an EIN

Assumed Business Name Registration

While not a business license, it’s common for Sole Proprietorships and Partnerships operating under a name that is different from the full name of the owner(s) to register for an Assumed Name (also known as a Doing Business As or DBA) with the Montana Secretary of State.

These are just some of the most common business licenses a new business will need to register before starting. Before starting your business, be sure to check with City Hall, County Clerk, Chamber of Commerce, and/or Economic Developer in your area to get more information regarding business licensing.

What Business Licenses & Permits are Needed in Montana?

What Business Licenses & Permits are Needed in Montana?

Greg Bouhl

Greg Bouhl

Welcome! My name is Greg Bouhl, and I am a serial entrepreneur, educator, business advisor, and investor.

StartingYourBusiness.com is here because of the many clients I worked with who made decisions based on inaccurate and outdated information.

Starting a business is hard, but here you will find the practical tools, resources, and insider tips to help you successfully start a business.

If there is a question about starting a business or help finding a resource, I'm here to help!

Follow on LinkedIn

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Many (but not all) of the links on StartingYourBusiness.com are affiliate links. This means that a special tracking code is used and that we may make a small commission on the sale of an item if you purchase through one of these links. The price of the item is the same for you whether it is an affiliate link or not, and using affiliate links helps us to maintain this website.

StartingYourBusiness.com is also a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.

Our mission is to help businesses start and promoting inferior products and services doesn’t serve that mission. We keep the opinions fair and balanced and not let the commissions influence our opinions.