Our work is reader-supported, meaning that we may earn a commission from the products and services mentioned.

What Business Licenses & Permits are Needed in New Hampshire?

What Business Licenses & Permits are Needed in New Hampshire?

What Business Licenses & Permits are Needed in New Hampshire?

What Business Licenses & Permits are Needed in New Hampshire?

What Business Licenses & Permits are Needed in New Hampshire?

Starting a business in New Hampshire will mean potentially registering with a number of federal, state, and local agencies. Let’s take a look at common licenses and permits a business will register for in New Hampshire.

Before applying for any licenses, the business structure will need to be established. Learn more about the differences between the sole proprietorship, general partnership, corporation, and Limited Liability Company (LLC).

Related: Comparison of Business Entities

Learn more about forming an LLC in New Hampshire

Also see: Steps to starting a business in New Hampshire

New Hampshire State Business Registration

All businesses operating in the State of New Hampshire are required to register with the New Hampshire Secretary of State‘s Office.

Local Business License

Many cities require businesses to be licensed in order to operate. Rules for business registration vary depending on location and what the business does. Below are a few cities that have general business license requirements.

Manchester – The Business Licensing and Enforcement Division of the Office of the City Clerk issues licenses to several types of businesses such as food service establishments, second-hand dealers, tattoo and body piercing establishments, and several others.

Nashua – Businesses operating in city limits such as pawnbrokers, places of amusement, and others will need licensing from the Nashua City Clerk.

Concord – A business license in Concord is needed for certain activities such as food service, second-hand dealers, tattoo artists, and others.

The cost of business licenses varies on location and the type of business.

Done for you license research

Take the guesswork out of figuring out what licenses and permits are required to start your business with license research packages from IncFile and CorpNet.

For as little as $99, you can save a lot of time and know your business is in compliance with local, state, and federal requirements. 

Building & Zoning Permits

Zoning – Depending on the location of the business, it’s important to verify whether the business needs an occupancy permit or has specific zoning regulations to follow. Depending on city requirements, home-based businesses may need to apply for a home occupation permit.

Building PermitA building permit may be needed from the city or county building and planning department if there is any construction or renovations to a facility.

Signage Permit Some municipalities require a permit before adding signage.

Occupational License

A variety of occupations in the state are regulated and need to be registered before offering certain services. A few common professions that require licensing in New Hampshire include; accountants, barbers, body artists, hunting & fishing guides, manicurists, and many more. Additional information, fees, and licensing requirements for professions are available from the New Hampshire Department of Employment Security.

In addition to professional licenses from the Department of Employment Security, businesses in a variety of industries such as food establishments, daycares, auto recyclers, and many others also require licensing.

Trade Name Registration

While not a business license, it’s common for Sole Proprietorships and Partnerships operating under a business name that is different from the full name of the owner(s) to register for a Trade Name (also known as a Doing Business As, DBA, or Fictitious Business Name) with the New Hampshire Department of State’s Office.

Employer Identification Number (EIN)

Many businesses will register with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) for an EIN (also referred to as a FEIN, Federal Employer Identification Number, or Federal Tax ID Number). The EIN is the business equivalent for a Social Security Number for an individual. Corporations, Limited Liability Companies, Partnerships, and Sole Proprietorships with employees will all need to register for one. Sole Proprietorships without employees can use the owner’s Social Security Number.

There is no cost for an EIN, and it only takes a few minutes to get.

Learn how to apply for an EIN

These are just some of the most common business licenses a business will need to register before starting. Before starting your business, be sure to check with City Hall, County Clerk, Chamber of Commerce, and/or Economic Developer in your area to get more information regarding business licensing.

What Business Licenses & Permits are Needed in New Hampshire?

What Business Licenses & Permits are Needed in New Hampshire?

Greg Bouhl

Greg Bouhl

Welcome! My name is Greg Bouhl, and I have over 21 years as an entrepreneur, educator, and business advisor, where I worked with over 1,600 entrepreneurs to help them start and grow their businesses.

As a small business advisor, I got fed up with clients finding inaccurate and outdated information when they were researching how to start a business online, so I launched StartingYourBusiness.com to be a trusted resource.

I'm constantly adding and revising this site, but if there is a question you have about starting a business or need help finding something, please ask!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *