How to Register a Montana DBA

Last Updated on

Quick Reference

In Montana, any business operating under a fictitious name will need to register for a DBA.  Learn more about what a DBA is, who needs one, and how to register.

Related: How to start a business in Montana

What is a DBA?

A DBA, also known as “Doing Business As,” Trade Name, Assumed Name, or Fictitious Name, is a name used by a business that is different from the legal name of the business.   This name is often referred to as a Trade Name in Montana.

When a business wants to operate under a name other than their legal name, the state of Montana, like most states, require the business to register their business name.  The registration requirement was designed to protect consumers from business owners hiding anonymously behind the name of a business.

What is a DBA good for?

A DBA is required for many businesses in order to legally operate and provides information on the people operating a business.  In addition to the legal requirement, a DBA offers other benefits such as proving the existence of a business, opening a bank account under a business name, registering a merchant account to accept credit cards, and others.

Who needs to register for a Montana DBA?

The requirements and need to register for a Trade Name vary, depending on the type of business entity.

Sole proprietorships and general partnerships are the most common entities to register for a DBA.

The legal name of a sole proprietor or partnership can be the owner’s full first and last name, which can be used without registering.  For example, if John Smith starts a business repairing computers but doesn’t use a business name, he doesn’t have to register.  If John decides to name his business John’s Computer Repair, he will need to register.

Corporations and Limited Liability Companies won’t typically register a fictitious name since a unique entity name is created during the formation process.  Some will file for a DBA if they have another business they want to operate under their corporate/LLC umbrella to keep the liability protection without forming another entity.

Montana DBA Registration Form

Printable Form
Online Form

How much does a DBA cost in Montana?

The filing fee for registering an Assumed Name in Montana is $20.

Expedited processing is available.  For an additional $20, the registration is processed in 24-hours, while an additional $100 will provide 1-hour processing.

Assumed names have to be renewed every five years.

What are the steps to file a DBA in Montana?

Step 1 – Verify Name Availability

The state of Montana requires business names to be distinguishable from other registered business names.

Learn how to do a business name search in Montana.

Step 2 – Fill out the Form

Information requested on the form includes:

    • Name being registered
    • Description of what the business does
    • Date the name was first used
    • Type of business entity
    • Business mailing address

Step 3 – Submit the Form

Submit the filing fee and form.  If mailing, send the form to:

Secretary of State
P.O. Box 202801
Helena, MT 59620-2801

Are there any words you can’t use in a DBA?

DBAs can’t be registered using words that are related to banks, unless it is licenses to provide such services.  Additionally, an Assumed Name can only use entity designators (such as corporation, LLC, etc) if the business is organized as that entity.  For example, a sole proprietorship can’t use LLC in its Assumed Name.

Can someone steal my business name?

While registering your Trade Name will keep someone else from registering the exact same name in Montana, it does very little from someone else operating a business under that name in other states. If stopping others from using your business name is important, you can protect it through a trademark.

Learn more about trademarking a business name.

Related: What is the difference between a trademark, copyright, and patent?

Does a DBA need an EIN?

An EIN or Employer Identification Number is a unique nine-digit number that some businesses will register for through the Internal Revenue Department (IRS). An EIN is required for partnerships, corporations, multi-member LLCs, or any business that has employees.

Sole proprietorships and single-member LLCs without employees can use the owner’s social security number to identify the business.

There is no cost to get an EIN when registering directly from the IRS.

Related: How to register for an EIN in Montana


If you have questions about the process, contact the Montana Secretary of State’s office at 406-444-3665.

Subscribe Now to the 60-day Startup Challenge!

Subscribe Now to the 60-day Startup Challenge!