Our work is reader-supported, meaning that we may earn a commission from the products and services mentioned.

What Business Licenses and Permits are Needed in Tennessee?

What Business Licenses and Permits are Needed in Tennessee?

Affiliate Disclosure


What Business Licenses and Permits are Needed in Tennessee?

What Business Licenses and Permits are Needed in Tennessee?

Starting a business in Tennessee will mean potentially registering with a number of federal, state, and local agencies.  Let’s take a look at common licenses and permits a business will register for in Tennessee.

Before applying for any licenses, the legal structure of the business will need to be established. Learn more about the differences between the sole proprietorship, general partnership, corporation, and Limited Liability Company (LLC).

Related: Comparison of Business Entities

Learn more about forming an LLC in Tennessee

Also see: Steps to starting a business in Tennessee

County Business Licenses

Most businesses in Tennessee (even home-based businesses occasionally) need to purchase an annual business license with the County Clerk in the county where the business is located and possibly with the Municipal Clerk if it is located within the city limits. The two common licenses are the Standard Business License and the Minimal Activity Business License.

Standard Business License – The Standard Business License is for businesses that gross more than $10,000 annually and are not exempt. You initially file for the Standard Business License with your county clerk, and then you file a tax return of your gross receipts (gross sales) with the TN Department of Revenue. Keep in mind that your tax year is based on the fiscal year-end of your business.  The fee for the Standard Business License is $15 annually for each location.

You may also need to obtain a business license from your municipal clerk if your business is located within certain city limits.

Minimal Business Activity License – The Minimal Business Activity License is for businesses that gross more than $3,000 and less than $10,000 annually. You initially file the Minimal Activity License with your county clerk, but no annual report on gross receipts is required. Your license must be renewed at the end of the fiscal year-end of your business.  The filing fee for the Minimal Business Activity License is $15 annually for each location.

You may also need to obtain a business license from your municipal clerk if your business is located within some city limits.

Some businesses don’t need to register for either a Standard or Minimal Activity Business License. Those include:

    • Businesses with gross revenue of less than $3,000 annually.
    • Certain Services (but not tangible property sales) – Exempt services generally include but are not limited to doctors, dentists, veterinarians, attorneys, accountants, insurance agents, loan companies, manufacturers, and farms.  They may be subject to business tax on sales. If you are unsure of your exempt status, check with your county clerk.

The cost of the business license varies by location but is typically less than $30.’


Done for you license research

Take the guesswork out of figuring out what licenses and permits are required to start your business with license research packages from IncFile and CorpNet.

For as little as $99, you can save a lot of time and know your business is in compliance with local, state, and federal requirements. 


Building & Zoning Permits

ZoningDepending on the location of the business, it’s important to verify whether the business needs an occupancy permit or has specific zoning regulations to follow. Depending on city requirements, home-based businesses may need to apply for a home occupation permit.

Building Permit – A building permit may be needed from the city or county building and planning department if there is any construction or renovations to a facility.

Signage Permit – Some municipalities require a permit before adding signage.

Sales Tax Permit

Generally, businesses making sales within any county and/or incorporated municipality in Tennessee will need to register for and remit business tax.  The business tax consists of two separate taxes: the state business tax and the city business tax.  With a few exceptions, all businesses that sell goods or services must pay the state business tax.  This includes businesses with a physical location in the state as well as out-of-state businesses performing certain activities in the state.

Learn how to register for a Tennessee Sales Tax Permit from the Tennessee Department of Revenue.

Certificate of Resale

Businesses purchasing merchandise to resell will usually want to obtain a Tennessee Certificate of Resale (often referred to as a Resale Certificate) to not pay sales tax for merchandise being resold to customers.

Professional License

A variety of professions in the state are regulated and need to be registered before offering certain services.  A few common professions that require licensing in Tennessee include; appraisers, home inspectors, food establishments, barbers, scrap metal companies, and many more.  

Employer Identification Number (EIN)

Many businesses will register with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) for an EIN (also referred to as a FEIN, Federal Employer Identification Number, or Federal Tax ID Number). The EIN is the business equivalent of a Social Security Number for an individual. Corporations, Limited Liability Companies, Partnerships, and Sole Proprietorships with employees will all need to register for one. Sole Proprietorships without employees can use the owner’s Social Security Number.

There is no cost for an EIN, and it only takes a few minutes to get.

Learn how to apply for an EIN


Assumed Name Registration

While not a business license, it’s common for Sole Proprietorships and Partnerships operating under a business name that is different from the full name of the owner(s) to register for an Assumed Name (also known as a Doing Business As or DBA) with the Register of Deed’s Office in the county where the business is located.


These are just some of the most common business licenses a new business will need to register before starting. Before starting your business, be sure to check with the County Clerk’s Office, City Hall, Chamber of Commerce, and/or Economic Developer in your area to get more information regarding business licensing.

What Business Licenses and Permits are Needed in Tennessee?

What Business Licenses and Permits are Needed in Tennessee?

Greg Bouhl

Greg Bouhl

Welcome! My name is Greg Bouhl, and I am a serial entrepreneur, educator, business advisor, and investor.

StartingYourBusiness.com is here because of the many clients I worked with who made decisions based on inaccurate and outdated information.

Starting a business is hard, but here you will find the practical tools, resources, and insider tips to help you successfully start a business.

If there is a question about starting a business or help finding a resource, I'm here to help!

Follow on LinkedIn

2 Responses

  1. Im going to be an independant travel agent from home. What license do I need, Ein number, do i register with the city , i live in

    1. Hi Connie – Tennessee doesn’t require specific licensing for travel agents, but you may need some of the registrations in this article. You didn’t list the city you live in, but you may want to start with the Minimal Business Activity License as well as check with your local City Hall, Chamber of Commerce, and Economic Development department in your area for additional details as some places require all businesses to register, while others do not.

      The requirements for the EIN vary on your entity type, but in general you would only need one if you have employees, or have a partnership, LLC or corporation with multiple owners. To learn more about the different entities in Tennessee under Step 3 – https://startingyourbusiness.com/tennessee/.

      Hope this helps you get started. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Many (but not all) of the links on StartingYourBusiness.com are affiliate links. This means that a special tracking code is used and that we may make a small commission on the sale of an item if you purchase through one of these links. The price of the item is the same for you whether it is an affiliate link or not, and using affiliate links helps us to maintain this website.

StartingYourBusiness.com is also a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.

Our mission is to help businesses start and promoting inferior products and services doesn’t serve that mission. We keep the opinions fair and balanced and not let the commissions influence our opinions.