Our work is reader-supported, meaning that we may earn a commission from the products and services mentioned.

What Business Licenses and Permits are Needed in Texas?

What Business Licenses and Permits are Needed in Texas?

Advertising Disclosure


What Business Licenses and Permits are Needed in Texas?

What Business Licenses and Permits are Needed in Texas?

Starting a business in Texas will mean potentially registering with a number of federal, state, and local agencies.  Let’s take a look at common licenses and permits a business will register for in Texas.

Before applying for any licenses, the business structure of the company will first need to be established. Learn more about the differences between the sole proprietorship, general partnership, corporation, and Limited Liability Company (LLC).

Related: Comparison of Business Entities

Learn more about forming an LLC in Texas

Also see: Steps to starting a business in Texas

General Business License

There is no general state of Texas business license, however, many cities require businesses to be licensed in order to operate. Business license requirements vary depending on location and what the business does.  Below are a few cities that have licensing requirements. 

Houston – While there isn’t a business license registration in Houston, businesses in Harris County are required to report business use of property valued at over $500.  There is a Business Personal Property Rendition form that will be filed annually.

A Certificate of Occupancy is required for businesses operating in a commercial building from the Houston Planning and Development District.

San Antonio Businesses operating out of a commercial building will need to obtain a Certificate of Occupancy

Additionally, a few types of businesses such as those selling alcohol, using coin-operated machines, or peddlers will need a license from the city.

Dallas – A Certificate of Occupancy is needed for the commercial use of a building in Dallas.  The filing fee for this license is $215 plus a $65 Code Compliance Fee.

A Dallas business license is needed for several different types of businesses such as amusement centers, businesses selling alcohol, precious metal vendors, etc.


Done for you license research

Take the guesswork out of figuring out what licenses and permits are required to start your business with license research packages from IncFile and LegalZoom.

For as little as $99, you can save a lot of time and know your business is in compliance with local, state, and federal requirements. 


Building & Zoning Permits

ZoningDepending on the location of the business, it’s important to verify whether the business needs an occupancy permit or has specific zoning regulations to follow. Depending on city requirements, home-based businesses may need to apply for a home occupation permit.

Building Permit – A building permit may be needed from the city or county building and planning department if there is any construction or renovations to a facility.

Signage Permit – Some municipalities require a permit before adding signage.

Sales Tax Permit

Businesses engaged in selling or leasing tangible personal property or taxable services in Texas need to register for a Texas Sales Tax Permit (also called a seller’s permit) from the Texas Comptroller.

Resale Certificate

Businesses purchasing merchandise to resell will usually want to obtain a Texas Resale Certificate to not pay sales tax for merchandise that is resold to customers.

Professional License

A variety of professions in the state are regulated and need to be registered before offering certain services.  A few common professions that require licensing in Texas include; therapists, tattoo studios, salvage brokers, food establishments, and many more.   Additional information, fees, and licensing requirements for professions are available from the Texas Department of State Health Services.

In addition to professional licenses from the Texas Department of Health Services, businesses in a variety of industries such as daycares and salvage yards also require licensing.

Employer Identification Number (EIN)

Many businesses will register with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) for an EIN (also referred to as a FEIN, Federal Employer Identification Number, or Federal Tax ID Number). The EIN is the business equivalent of a Social Security Number for an individual. Corporations, Limited Liability Companies, Partnerships, and Sole Proprietorships with employees will all need to register for one. Sole Proprietorships without employees can use the owner’s Social Security Number.

There is no cost for an EIN, and it only takes a few minutes to get.

Learn how to apply for an EIN

Assumed Name Registration

While not a business license, it’s common for Sole Proprietorships and Partnerships operating under a name that is different from the full name of the owner(s) to register for an Assumed Name (also known as a Doing Business As or DBA) with the County Clerk’s Office in the county where the business is located.


These are just some of the most common business licenses a new business will need to register before starting. Before starting your business, be sure to check with City Hall, County Clerk, Chamber of Commerce, and/or Economic Developer in your area to get more information regarding business licensing.

What Business Licenses and Permits are Needed in Texas?

What Business Licenses and Permits are Needed in Texas?

Greg Bouhl

Greg Bouhl

Welcome! My name is Greg Bouhl, and I am a serial entrepreneur, educator, business advisor, and investor.

StartingYourBusiness.com is here because of the many clients I worked with who made decisions based on inaccurate and outdated information.

Starting a business is hard, but here you will find the practical tools, resources, and insider tips to help you successfully start a business.

If there is a question about starting a business or help finding a resource, I'm here to help!

Follow on LinkedIn

4 Responses

  1. Hello.
    I have registered my business name with the state, and I’d like to work on receiving a business permit and a reseller’s permit. May I ask how that process is done, how much is cost to get both of those, and when can I expect to receive those credentials? Thank you and please get back to me, have a wonderful day.

    1. Hi Sterling & Aaron

      I can’t give you an answer on the cost or process on business licenses, because the licenses you need will vary by where the business is located and what it does. You will want to check with the city hall, Chamber of Commerce, or economic development office in your community to get more info.

      To get a reseller’s permit, you will need to register for a Sales Tax Permit (https://startingyourbusiness.com/how-to-register-for-a-sales-tax-permit-in-texas/) first as the number will be needed to fill out the Resale Certificate (https://startingyourbusiness.com/texas-resale-certificate/). There is no fee for the Sales Tax Permit or Resale Certificate. Expect 2-3 weeks to get the Sales Tax Permit and there is no time for the Resale Certificate.

      Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions!

  2. Hello, I was looking to start a nonemergency transportation service. I want to get an LLC, but I am curious as to what other permits and license that I will need to obtain.

    1. Hi Mercedes

      This will somewhat depend on where you are offering your services, but here are a few resources that should help.
      – Sales Tax Permit – https://startingyourbusiness.com/how-to-register-for-a-sales-tax-permit-in-texas/
      – Commercial Drivers License – Texas Department of Public Safety -https://www.dps.texas.gov/DriverLicense/CommercialLicense.htm
      Texas Medical Transportation Program – https://www.tmhp.com/programs/mtp

      Let me know if you have any other questions!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Many (but not all) of the links on StartingYourBusiness.com are affiliate links. This means that a special tracking code is used and that we may make a small commission on the sale of an item if you purchase through one of these links. The price of the item is the same for you whether it is an affiliate link or not, and using affiliate links helps us to maintain this website.

StartingYourBusiness.com is also a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.

Our mission is to help businesses start and promoting inferior products and services doesn’t serve that mission. We keep the opinions fair and balanced and not let the commissions influence our opinions.