Our work is reader-supported, meaning that we may earn a commission from the products and services mentioned.

What Business Licenses & Permits are Needed in New York?

What Business Licenses & Permits are Needed in New York?

Advertising Disclosure


What Business Licenses & Permits are Needed in New York?

What Business Licenses & Permits are Needed in New York?

Starting a business in New York will mean potentially registering with a number of federal, state, and local agencies. Let’s take a look at common licenses and permits a business will register for in New York.

Before applying for any licenses, the business structure will first need to be established. Learn more about the differences between the sole proprietorship, general partnership, corporation, and Limited Liability Company (LLC).

Related: Comparison of Business Entities

Learn more about forming an LLC in New York

Also see: Steps to starting a business in New York

General Business License

There is no general state of New York business license, however, many cities require businesses to be licensed in order to operate. Rules for business registration vary depending on location and business type. Below are a few cities that have licensing requirements.

New York City – Many businesses will need a business license in New York City in order to operate. The Department of Consumer Affairs requires businesses such as car washes, contractors, locksmiths, and several others to register.

Buffalo – Certain businesses need licensing before operating in the city limits of Buffalo. The Buffalo Office of Licenses issues licenses to businesses such as bakers, caterers, collection agencies, landscapers, and more.

Rochester – The City of Rochester, has a Business Permit Program that requires businesses such as restaurants, auto mechanics, and salons to register. Businesses can complete a Business Permit Application or by visiting a Neighborhood Service Center.

There is a $25 non-refundable filing fee for a Business Permit in Rochester.

Yonkers – The City of Yonkers requires licenses for businesses operating as food vendors, contractors, laundromats, locksmiths, and several others. Licensing is through the City Clerk’s Office.

Syracuse – Certain types of businesses operating in Syracuse’s city limits will need to obtain a business license from the Central Permit Office. A few examples include; bars & restaurants, pawn shops, newsstands, snow plowing, and several others.


Done for you license research

Take the guesswork out of figuring out what licenses and permits are required to start your business with license research packages from IncFile and LegalZoom.

For as little as $99, you can save a lot of time and know your business is in compliance with local, state, and federal requirements. 


Building & Zoning Permits

Zoning – Depending on the location of the business, it’s important to verify whether the business needs an occupancy permit or has specific zoning regulations to follow. Depending on city requirements, home-based businesses may need to apply for a home occupation permit.

Building Permit – A building permit may be needed from the city or county building and planning department if there is any construction or renovations to a facility.

Signage Permit – Some municipalities require a permit before adding signage.

Sales Tax Certificate of Authority

Businesses that sell physical products or provide certain taxable services must register for a Sales Tax Certificate of Authority from the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance.

Resale Certificate

Businesses purchasing merchandise to resell will usually want to obtain a New York State Resale Certificate to not pay sales tax on merchandise resold to customers.

Occupational License

A variety of occupations in the state are regulated and need to be registered before offering certain services. A few common professions that require licensing in New York include; cosmetologists, barbers, athletic trainers, home inspectors, and many more. Additional information, fees, and licensing requirements for professions are available from the New York Department of State.

In addition to professional licenses from the Department of State, businesses in a variety of industries such as food establishmentsdaycaressalvage yards, and others also require licensing.

Employer Identification Number (EIN)

Many businesses will register with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) for an EIN (also referred to as a FEIN, Federal Employer Identification Number, or Federal Tax ID Number). The EIN is the business equivalent of a Social Security Number for an individual. Corporations, Limited Liability Companies, Partnerships, and Sole Proprietorships with employees will all need to register for one. A sole proprietor without employees can use the business owner’s Social Security Number.

There is no cost for an EIN, and it only takes a few minutes to get.

Learn how to apply for an EIN

Assumed Name Registration

While not a small business license, it’s common for Sole Proprietorships and Partnerships operating under a business name that is different from the full name of the owner(s) to register for an Assumed Name (also known as a Doing Business As, DBA, or Trade Name) with the County Clerk’s Office in the county where the business is located.


These are just some of the most common business licenses a new business will need to register before starting. Before starting your business, be sure to check with City Hall, County Clerk, Chamber of Commerce, and/or Economic Developer in your area to get more information regarding business licensing.

What Business Licenses & Permits are Needed in New York?

What Business Licenses & Permits are Needed in New York?

Greg Bouhl

Greg Bouhl

Welcome! My name is Greg Bouhl, and I am a serial entrepreneur, educator, business advisor, and investor.

StartingYourBusiness.com is here because of the many clients I worked with who made decisions based on inaccurate and outdated information.

Starting a business is hard, but here you will find the practical tools, resources, and insider tips to help you successfully start a business.

If there is a question about starting a business or help finding a resource, I'm here to help!

Follow on LinkedIn

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Many (but not all) of the links on StartingYourBusiness.com are affiliate links. This means that a special tracking code is used and that we may make a small commission on the sale of an item if you purchase through one of these links. The price of the item is the same for you whether it is an affiliate link or not, and using affiliate links helps us to maintain this website.

StartingYourBusiness.com is also a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.

Our mission is to help businesses start and promoting inferior products and services doesn’t serve that mission. We keep the opinions fair and balanced and not let the commissions influence our opinions.