Last Updated on

Question – What type of license or registration do I need to start a crafting business out of my home in Minnesota? I have a vinyl cutting machine and would like to sell t-shirts with customized lettering, signs, keychains, and other miscellaneous crafts.

Our Answer – You will want to check with the city hall or related municipal local government agency to see if you need a local business license for running your business out of your home. It is unlikely, but you should check to be safe. Since you are selling products at retail, you will need to obtain a a sales & use tax permit from the Minnesota Department of Revenue. You will collect sales tax from orders that are shipped within Minnesota, but those sent outside the state aren’t currently taxed.