What Business Licenses and Permits are Needed in Wyoming?

Last Updated on

Quick Reference

What Business Licenses and Permits are Needed in Wyoming?

Starting a business in Wyoming will mean potentially registering with a number of federal, state, and local agencies.  Let’s take a look at common licenses and permits a business will register for in Wyoming.

Before applying for any licenses, the business entity will first need to be established. Learn more about the differences between the sole proprietorship, general partnership, corporation, and Limited Liability Company (LLC).

Related: Comparison of Business Entities

Learn more about forming an LLC in Wyoming

Also see: Steps to starting a business in Wyoming

General Business License

There is no general state of Wyoming business license, however, many cities require businesses to be licensed. Rules for business registration vary depending on location and what the business does.  Below are a few cities that have licensing requirements. 

Cheyenne – A General Business License is needed for certain businesses such as beauty shops, bowling alleys, firearms dealers, food trucks, and several others. 

The filing fee for a business license in Cheyenne varies and is generally less than $100 annually.

Casper The City of Casper requires business registration for junk dealers, bed & breakfasts, taxis, and others.  

Laramie – New businesses starting or operating in Laramie city limits will need a business license from the City Clerk if they are junk dealers, mobile vendors, pawnbrokers, roller skating rinks, and others.


Done for you license research

Take the guesswork out of figuring out what licenses and permits are required to start your business with license research packages from IncFile or CorpNet.

For as little as $99, you can save a lot of time and know your business is in compliance with local, state, and federal requirements. 


Building & Zoning Permits

ZoningDepending on the location of the business, it’s important to verify whether the business needs an occupancy permit or has specific zoning regulations to follow. Depending on local requirements, home-based businesses may need to apply for a home occupation permit.

Building Permit – A building permit may be needed from the city or county building and planning department if there is any construction or renovations to a facility.

Signage Permit – Some municipalities require a permit before adding signage.

Employer Identification Number (EIN)

Many businesses will register with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) for an EIN (also referred to as a FEIN, Federal Employer Identification Number, or Federal Tax ID Number). The EIN is the business equivalent of a Social Security Number for an individual. Corporations, Limited Liability Companies, Partnerships, and Sole Proprietorships with employees will all need to register for one. Sole Proprietorships without employees can use the owner’s Social Security Number.

There is no cost for an EIN, and it only takes a few minutes to get.

Learn how to apply for an EIN

Business Tax Number

The Wyoming Business Tax Number (IBT) is an identification number issued by the Wyoming Department of Revenue.  Sometimes known as the REG-1 Form, the IBT is required for all businesses planning to hire employees, buying or selling tangible personal property (sometimes referred to as a Wyoming sales tax permit or sales tax license), or manufacturing goods.

There is no cost to register for a Wyoming Business Tax Number, and it is usually processed in 2-3 business days.

Resale Certificate of Exemption

Businesses purchasing merchandise to resell will usually want to obtain a Wyoming Certificate of Exemption in order to not pay sales tax for merchandise that is being resold to customers.

Professional License

A variety of professions in the state are regulated and need to be registered before offering certain services.  A few common professions that require licensing in Wyoming include; athletic trainers, physical therapists, landscapers, barbers, and many more.  

In addition to professional licenses, there are business-specific permits for contractors, food service, and others. More information is available from the Business Permitting Program.

Contractor’s License

With the exception of electrical contractors, contractors are not licensed from the state of Wyoming. Instead, contractor licensing takes place at the city or county level. Multiple licenses may be needed, depending on where the construction projects take place in the state. 

Trade Name Registration

While not a business license, it’s common for Sole Proprietorships and Partnerships operating under a business name that is different from the full name of the owner(s) to register for a Trade Name (also known as a Doing Business As or DBA) with the Wyoming Secretary of State.

These are just some of the most common business licenses a new business will need to register before starting. Before starting your business, be sure to check with the City Clerk’s Office, Chamber of Commerce, and/or Economic Developer in your area to get more information regarding business licensing.

Subscribe Now to the 60-day Startup Challenge!

Subscribe Now to the 60-day Startup Challenge!